It’s been a busy day so just one piece today in the series on Douai Abbey’s Ward vestments. Today it is the cope.
The cope was another significant piece of the set that was ready in 1896, though in that year the morse for it had not yet been made. It is essentially easy to describe: the orphreys on the front show the 12 apostles grouped in pairs.
At the bottom of the orphreys is a large reproduction of the old Douai armorial shield on the one, and that of the benefactor, Edmund Granville Ward, on the other.
The back of the cope is no less remarkable.
At the neck is a rather splendid embroidery of a six-winged seraph.
Beneath it, on the hood, is a Pentecost panel, with the Spirit descending on Mary and the apostles.
The morse depicts St George, rather a generous gesture from the community of St Edmund to the saint who supplanted its patron as the English patron.
Also made for the set were two morses for cantors copes which are not part of the original set, but are also made of crimson velvet and are striking in themselves. The cantors’ morses depict St Benedict and his sister St Scholastica.
God willing, the dalmatic tomorrow.